Essential Etiquette while writing anything online
All of us use internet for a considerably large amount of time, be it at home or office. A significant time is invested in writing text in form of emails, forms, commenting on forums, discussion groups and of course social networking sites such as Facebook, twitter, Google+ etc.
It’s very important that you write things online in such a way that it portraits your etiquette and manner effectively and creates a good impression on the readers mind. A well written text can make a big difference. Before explaining the details, let me demonstrate an example of an email which contrasts the difference between a well written texts with an ordinary one.
This is an email I got from one of my friend regarding an event:
“hey,i am doing a presentation on effective management skills on tuesday. Be there at 12. also make sure you bring ur ID as entry is strictly on basis of ID for our G7 group.
The same email if written like the one below would have created a much better impression:
I am conducting a presentation on topic “Effective Management” on Tuesday, 12th April at conference Hall. Since the presentation is only for members G7 group, make sure you carry your Identity card with you. I am looking forward to see you at the presentation and I am sure you would enjoy the experience and surely learn something new.
Though above email was supposed to be informal as it was meant for the purpose of intimating me about a presentation but the same email if written like the second way created a much better impact on me. It clearly described the venue of the event. Most importantly it motivated me to attend the presentation. The first email even raised the question whether it would be even appropriate to attend the presentation from a person who could not even manage to write an email professionally. Note that the 2ndemail would hardly take a minute more to write but it worth every second spent.
It’s not only email; the same etiquette applies to all text available online. If you write in a proper form then you make your point clearer, better presented and create positive image of your skills.
Some Basic Guidelines which Must be Followed While Writing Online.
1. Avoid using short slang. It could be right for social networking sites but Neveruse them while writing email to anyone.
2. Start on with a good node. Write with simple things and latter explain the complex stuffs. Beginning with confusing stuffs could make your readers mind turn off and they may not pay full attention while reading rest of the content.
3. Proper formatting makes the text come to life. Using bold, italics, colors etc. presents and highlights your content so that readers could focus on important things in a jiffy.
4. Research about what you are writing. Having good knowledge about the subject is a must. You may see many people commenting on various site’s which reflect their ignorance. Appropriate knowledge could save you from such embarrassing situations.
5. Be short and conciseso that you put your thoughts in least words and yet explaining everything you desired. It is a fact that people don’t like to read much online for the same topic for a very long time. The last thing you want is making your audience sleep while reading.
6. Avoid using Capital Letters. It denotes SHOUTING. It doesn’t look good when SHOUT TO YOUR READERS, isn’t it?
7. Check your spellings. There are a lot of tools to help you in this regard like built in spell check in browsers, so this shouldn’t be much of a task.
8. Be humble and courteouswhile writing. Remember that there are many newbies which are joining the online world daily. They may not be having the knowledge which you would have acquired over a period of time. Ridiculing them may create a permanent negative impact of your personality in their minds. Being arrogant is never a good choice.
It may sound a great deal of work to care of all of these but it’s actually not. Simply follow the steps while writing next time and in few days only you would be writing great stuff. You may even discover new manners and techniques for effective writing. You would observe that how a well written text forms a positive impression. Your manners are infectious too. If you write correctly then automatically people around you seem to follow. Always remember “Success would come your way provided you chose the correct way “. I am sure that after reading this post, you would definitely take care of basic manners while writing online.